sponsored by ecclesiastical
Supporting over 16,000 cathedral and church buildings of The Church of England


The conservation of wall paintings is a specialist task. If a wall painting is showing signs of damage you should contact a professionally accredited conservator to inspect it and advise you on required treatments. You can obtain details of accredited conservators on the Conservation Register website (you can access the Register here).

Some conservators may charge for visits and the preparation of conservation reports but we can help you with a grant for this initial work. Our grants also support conservation projects.

The conservation of wall paintings is likely to require formal approval. If you are a church, contact your Diocesan Advisory Committee (DAC) Secretary at an early stage about a faculty. If you are a cathedral please contact your Fabric Advisory Committee (FAC) for advice in the first instance. Follow the links to find out more about DACs and FACs.

For more information on the conservation of wall paintings please contact us.