The Care of Cathedrals Measure 2011 brings together all relevant legislation covering the care, conservation, repair and development of cathedrals. It applies to all the Church's cathedrals in England except Christ Church Cathedral in Oxford, which has separate arrangements.
- Sets out the role and duties of the Cathedrals Fabric Commission for England (CFCE).
- Sets out the role and duties of local Fabric Advisory Committees (FACs).
- Sets out which works at a cathedral require formal approval
- Defines the cathedral precinct.
- Requires a cathedral to draw up and maintain an inventory of cathedral property and identify which objects are of outstanding interest.
- Describes the role and duties of the Cathedral Architect or Surveyor of the Fabric.
- Describes the role and duties of the Cathedral Archaeologist.