These documents set out the Cathedrals Fabric Commission for England's advice on the operation of the Care of Cathedrals Measure and the care, conservation and development of cathedrals. Click on the document number to download a copy.
- Quick guide to making an application under the Care of Cathedrals Measure
- General guidance on supporting information to be submitted with an application
For policy guidance on particular types of application please click here.
Procedural and Guidance Notes
A series providing detailed guidance on the legal requirements of the Care of Cathedrals Measure and practical guidance on its operation
- PGN1 The Care of Cathedrals Measure: a general introduction and context (2012)
- PGN2 Proposals requiring approval and making an application (2012)
- PGN3 Cathedral Precincts: their definition, designation and effect under the Care of Cathedrals Measure (2008, due for revision)
- PGN6 The Cathedrals Fabric Commission for England: its role and function & Determining an Application: procedures for the Commission (2012)
- PGN7 Fabric Advisory Committees: their role and function & Determining an application: procedures for FACs (2012)
- PGN8 The Care of Cathedrals Measure and the public interest: the role of local planning authorities, English Heritage, the national amenity societies and the public (2012)
- PGN9 The Archaeological Assessment and Report for cathedrals and their precinct (2009, due for revision)
- PGN11 Major new developments at cathedrals (2008, due for revision)
- PGN11a Supplementary Note on lighting (2008, due for revision)
Guidance on Cathedral Inventories
Commission guidance on Cathedral Inventories is under review. Currently it consists of:
- Directions for the Form of the Inventory of a cathedral (2001, due for revision). These have legal effect under the Care of Cathedrals Rules 2006.
- Advisory Guidelines for the Form of an Inventory (2001, due for revision). These offered advice on good practice.
- PGN4 Cathedral Inventories: their purpose, scope and compilation (2001, due for revision)
- PGN5 Cathedral Inventories: designation of outstanding items (1996, due for revision)
For information on the legal basis for Cathedral Inventories please refer to section 24 of the Care of Cathedrals Measure 2011 and Rule 28 of the Care of Cathedrals Rules 2006.
- The Role and Duties of the Cathedral Architect or Surveyor of the Fabric (2008, due for revision)
- The Role and Duties of the Cathedral Archaeologist (2010, due for revision)