The Care of Cathedrals Measure covers works which affect the architectural, archaeological, artistic or historic character of the cathedral, its precinct and its contents.
These works are:
- Works - including repair and maintenance - that would materially affect the character of the cathedral, its setting, or any archaeological or human remains in the cathedral or its precinct.
- The sale, loan, disposal of, or carrying out work to, any object of interest owned by the chapter or in its possession. The Measure requires that such objects are recorded on the cathedral's inventory.
- The permanent addition to the cathedral of any object that would materially affect its character.
Some of these works require approval from the Commission specifically. These are:
- Works - including repair and maintenance - that would permanently alter the fabric of the cathedral.
- Demolition of any part of the cathedral.
- Disturbance or destruction of archaeological or human remains in the cathedral or its precinct.
- The sale, loan, disposal of, or carrying out work to, any object that is designated as being of outstanding interest. The list of outstanding objects is drawn up by the FAC from the cathedral's inventory and agreed by the Commission.
The other works are a matter for the local FAC.
However, the Commission can 'call-in' any project which it thinks gives rise to 'special considerations' meaning that it, rather than an FAC, should determine the application. On the other hand, the Commission can also refer an application that has been made to it back to the FAC.